Wednesday, October 26, 2011

DC New 52 Review: I, Vampire #2

I, Vampire #2
Written by Joshua Hale Fialkov
Art by Andrea Sorrentino
Cover Price: $2.99

In a nutshell:
Mary, Queen of Blood's point of view

Synopsis:
This issue basically builds upon the introduction from the previous issue showing the action with captions in Mary's voice. Mary is what we would view as the villain of the story, in favor of Vampire world domination and unapologetic about her vampire nature including her bloodlust. Despite this, while the conflict is quite passionate, it would have to be to divide them considering how much Mary and Andrew love each other, the story is presented similar to that of a divorce, presenting both points of view without, at this point at least, the context of an objective morality. Mary is definitely more self indulgent which makes her more selfish and more destructive but she's also the more at peace with herself and seems to be more passionate and happier while Andrew seem to live with self imposed torture.

Why did I pick it up?
I, Vampire #1 intrigued me and I found myself anticipating this issue more as the weeks through the month went by.

The Good:
Besides giving us Mary's point of view, we also get to see her admiration for her enemy, which gives us the opportunity to see just how formidable and powerful Andrew is. We get to see some of their abilities and vampire characteristics. Both characters seem to be able to turn into wolves and it's not clear if this is a common trait for vampires in this world or if only a select few can.

The Bad:
So far we have a very limited view of the story through the relationship of these two characters and we don't have any supporting characters yet. We don't really learn much more than we did last issue. While I enjoyed the issue I did feel like the story I do feel the story has stalled a little before we really got too much information which I think is dangerous for a new series to do when it's trying to build some momentum. There are also pages where I was confused by some of the action and the colorist could have done a better job of creating some distinction between the different bodies.

Is it worth it?
I'm excited about this one!

No comments: